In the market for a new monitor? You may be wondering if an OLED display is worth the extra cost.
Here's a rundown of the pros and cons of OLED monitors to help you make a decision.
- Reduced eye strain: OLED monitors emit less blue light than LCDs, which can reduce eye strain.
- HDR compatibility: Most OLED monitors are compatible with HDR10, the current standard for high dynamic range content. This means you'll be able to enjoy your favorite movies and shows in all their 4K glory.
- Improved color reproduction: OLED displays offer a wider color gamut than LCDs, meaning they can reproduce more colors accurately. This results in brighter, more vibrant images.
- Faster response times: Response time is the amount of time it takes for a pixel to change from one color to another. OLED pixels can change color almost instantaneously, resulting in less motion blur and ghosting.
- Infinite contrast ratios: Contrast ratio is the difference between the darkest black and the brightest white a display can produce. Since OLED pixels produce their own light, they can achieve true black levels, resulting in an infinite contrast ratio.
- Thinner and lighter panels: Since there's no backlight, OLED panels can be much thinner than LCDs. This makes them lighter as well, which is ideal if you plan on using your monitor on the go.
- Cost: OLED monitors are currently more expensive than LCD panels. However, the manufacturing cost of OELD panels is ever-decreasing, so this may not be an issue in the future.
- Image retention and screen burn-in: Image retention occurs when static images are displayed on an OLED screen for too long, leaving a ghost image behind even after the image has been changed. Screen burn-in is a more permanent form of image retention that happens when static images are displayed on an OLED screen for extended periods of time. While both image retention and screen burn-in are rare with modern OLED panels, it's still something to keep in mind if you're considering making the switch from LCD to OLED.
So there you have it! The pros and cons of switching to an OLED monitor.
Overall, OLED displays have amazing picture quality but shortened lifespan when compared to LCD monitors. So if you're looking for a monitor with great picture quality and don't mind the extra cost, then click the link below to check out our recommended OLED monitors!